Could you, or someone you know be STEF’s next Fundraising Trustee?
Closing date: 13 March 2024
Please submit CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
• To champion the work of the Southern Thailand Elephant Foundation (STEF).
• To advise the Chair and lead the Trustee Board in continually developing
STEF’s approach to fundraising and income generation.
• To ensure fundraising is of the highest standard and best practice.
• The role is voluntary.
The Fundraising Trustee’s Responsibilities are to:
• Develop the fundraising strategy in conjunction with the Chair and Board of Trustees.
• Support, encourage and line manage the Fundraising Manager in their fundraising
• Provide the Chair and Trustee Board with fundraising/income generation
advice and guidance, drawing on your skills and experience, to enable the
Trustees to make sound decisions on fundraising.
• Ensure that STEF always fundraises legally, responsibly and effectively, in line with
fundraising standards and regulations, the values and culture of the charity, and the
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
• Carry out fundraising risk assessments, especially when considering new or
ambitious fundraising strategies.
• Encourage an entrepreneurial fundraising culture within the charity and actively work
with STEF colleagues to deliver the fundraising programmes.
• Prepare or support the Fundraising Manager in the preparation of any major or complex
applications for funding.
• A substantial background as a professional charity fundraiser with a sound
understanding and experience of charity fundraising at strategic and operational
• An understanding of the challenges facing small UK charities in maximising income
streams and donor cultivation.
• Experience of diverse fundraising practices – corporate partnerships, major donor
giving, and trusts and foundations, would be valuable.
• An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, the Charity
Commission, relevant legislations and statutory requirements.
• A commitment to supporting the aims of STEF and the veterinary care and welfare of
the endangered Asian elephant.
• A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the role.
• Excellent networking, influencing and communication skills.
• Strategic vision with an ability to think creatively.
• An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
• Trustees are encouraged to visit STEF’s operations in Thailand to familiarise
themselves with the work funded by the charity and to discuss fundraising and
other issues with our local Trustee and other stakeholders.
• Board meetings are usually held four times a year online or in London.
• The term is 3 years. The appointment is renewable for a maximum of two further terms.
In addition, all Trustee are expected to:
• Ensure that STEF pursues its stated objects, as defined in its Constitution.
• Ensure that STEF complies with its Constitution, charity law and any other
relevant legislation or regulations.
• Ensure that STEF applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its
charitable objects, for the benefit of its beneficiaries.
• Ensure the effective and efficient administration of STEF, including having
appropriate policies and procedures in place.
• Ensure the financial stability of STEF, including the proper investment of funds.
• Approve major actions of STEF, such as capital expenditure over authorised limits
and major changes in activities and services.
• Ensure that the organisational strength and staffing is equal to the requirements of
STEF’s long-range goals.
• Scrutinise board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing
advice and guidance on new initiatives, in which the trustee has special expertise.